Saturday, November 8, 2008

The end of an era...


























Now that my grandma's second husband has married again my mom and her siblings have been closing out the house they grew up in. It's funny how just walking into that house makes me feel eight years old all over again. I remember making birthday cards from the stuff in Grandpa's desk, parties in the backyard and "tinkering" in the shed. There was a clay indian in my Grandpa's bathroom that glowed. It was a Sunday afternoon favorite. He also had a vial of a silver liquid (I now know it is Mercury) that was fun to watch roll around and hold (exept we now know it causes cancer.) There was not really a finished basement, but a big piece of the floor that lifted up in the kitchen to let you in the cellar and crawl space. I should have taken a picture of that. We made Grandpa take us downstairs virtually every time we visited. It was a novelty.

4 comments:

The Dunford Family said...

We did this for my G and G and it is so sad and hard. Did you get the glowing Indian for your bathroom?

Eli and Candace said...

This was nice. I didn't even think to take pics...even though I knew it would probably be the last time I walked in that house. By the way I found a little charm Grandma had with your baby pic in it - Remind me if I don't give it to you soon.

The Berg's said...

Cute. I wish I could have played with that mysterious Vial

J McQuivey said...

Isn't it funny how old people keep everything. And you wonder why until they pass away and then something clicks and there is a memory tied to everything from someone.